Back in Malaysia, it's always either sunny or rainy. The temperature is always within the range of 20 - 30 degrees Celsius. No one checks the weather channel. Matter of fact, do we even have a weather channel in Malaysia? No one makes conversation with other people about the weather. You're not going to hear, "eh you know ar, tomorrow is going to rain..." "Oh really? Aiyoh, why so mafan always rain wan?" Maybe we complain about the scorching sun from time to time with good reason, but other than that the weather is basically a nonexistent conversational topic in Malaysia.
In America? People actually watch the Weather Channel every single day. They know what the weather will be like every day for the next ten days. They can tell you (in Fahrenheit, mind you) the temperature, the humidity, the percentage of whether it will rain/snow/sleet/hail. Most Malaysians probably don't even know what sleet means. For the past couple of days it's been raining, literally everyone I know has to say something about it. Most people tell me, "It's so gloomy and wet out, I hate this weather, it's such an ugly day (I didn't realize there was such a thing), it makes me feel depressed." And during the days when the sun is shining and there's not a cloud in the sky, they're like, "Oh this weather is gorgeous and so beautiful! I love the sun! It's such a nice day! We should just skip work and go out and enjoy the weather!"
Now why would you let something as unpredictable as the weather affect your mood that way? Waaah it's raining, I feel down in the blues. Oh it's a sunny day, it's so nice out, I'm positively beaming and jumping for joy.
Ok, granted I really dislike snow and ice storms, but only when I have to drive in it. And during winter months when days are shorter I do feel some form of seasonal depression. That's a circadian rhythm thing that my tropical body probably did not and will not get used to. But the rain? I love the rain. I like cloudy days. The sun isn't bearing down on me, nor its rays shining so brightly in my eyes that I feel so blinded I have to wear sunglasses or I'll have a huge headache. (Yeah somehow bright lights give me a headache, don't ask me why.) Not that I mind sunny days, in fact I do like sunny days. But I also like rainy days. I like cloudy days. It's another day. So it's windy. Wear a jacket! So it's rainy. That's what umbrellas and raincoats are made for! So it's sunny. Ok no complaints there generally. You get my point.
It's just seems so odd to me that people here pay so much attention to the weather to the point that it affects their day and their mood.
1 comment:
It's exactly same here in Japan! Most of my Japanese friends like to complain about the weather too and check the forecast religiously. I also think that the weather serves as an ultra-convenient topic when you have nothing to say to the other person.
And oops I think I'm starting to be affected by the weather too. But I think that's because over here I don't drive and am exposed to the daily elements much more because I have to walk/bike a lot to go most places. It can get nasty when you're caught unprepared. Sometimes I do wish that I was as indifferent as I was back in M'sia, though.
I love rainy days too, as long as I'm indoors when it's pouring. And high five cloudy days are the best ... !
Sorry for writing almost half a blog entry as a comment! :p
Post a Comment